The Winter 2022 session of IN-PERSON CLASSES begins on JAN. 13 and goes through MARCH 24. The following week is Spring Break.
*I am also currently offering one-on-one private lessons in my home studio for fully vaccinated students. Lessons can be 30 minutes to 90 minutes depending on the student's preference.
10-Week Flamenco Dance Series with ELENA VILLA
January 9–March 12, 2020
- THURSDAYS @ 6:30pm – LEVEL 1 PRE-CHOREOGRAPHY PREPARATION. This Beginning Flamenco class will help prepare students to learn the choreography in the 7:30pm class. However, this is also a stand alone class that will focus on technique and drills: arm & hand technique, basic footwork, body expression, and coordination exercises. Great for building your flamenco dance foundation and for preparing to learn choreography.
- THURSDAYS @ 7:30pm – Levels 1 & 2: Choreography: "Rumba flamenca con abanico" (Rumba flamenca with Spanish fan). Mixed level–continuing beginner–intermediate levels welcome. One of the ida y vuelta or "roundtrip" forms, rumba is a 4-count rhythm with roots in Cuba. We will work on pasos (steps), marcajes (marking patterns), Spanish fan technique, and taconeo (footwork) that express the feeling and form of this infectious rhythm as we learn my original choreography. The music is a favorite Spanish classical guitar piece, "Capricho árabe" by Francisco Tárrega, adapted "por rumba" by flamenco guitarist, Chuscales.
VENUE: Prism House (in the Day Theater and Arts Building) 5516 SE Foster Rd., Portland, OR. Upstairs in the Prism Room.
8-WEEK FLAMENCO DANCE SERIES with ELENA VILLA
Thursday nights. Starts September 26, 2019.
Class dates: 9/26, 10/3, 10/10, 10/17, 10/24, 11/7, 11/21, 12/5.
- THURSDAYS @ 6:30pm – Beginning Flamenco Technique & Drills. New beginners welcome! Includes overview of 4- and 12-count rhythms, arm & hand technique, basic footwork, body expression, and coordination exercises. Great for building your flamenco dance foundation and for preparing to learn choreography.
- THURSDAYS @ 7:30pm – Levels 1 & 2: Technique & Choreography: "Rumba flamenca con abanico". Mixed level–continuing beginner–intermediate levels welcome. One of the ida y vuelta or "roundtrip" forms, rumba is a 4-count rhythm with roots in Cuba. We will work on pasos (steps) and marcajes (marking patterns) that express the feeling and form of this infectious rhythm as we learn my original choreography to a favorite Spanish classical guitar piece, "Capricho árabe" by Francisco Tárrega, adapted "por rumba" by flamenco guitarist, Chuscales.
Chapel Theater (Annex building), 4107 SE Harrison St., Milwaukie, OR. https://chapeltheatremilwaukie.com/
"I highly recommend Elena as a teacher! She not only teaches the basics of belly dance, but she infuses cultural, historical, performance, and musical elements into her classes to create a well-rounded dancer. I have studied with dozens of teachers in this art form, and Elena is among the best. Whether you are looking to simply take classes for fun, or develop yourself into a performance artist, Elena is a great resource."
“Elena’s variety of dance expertise and interpretation of music make her the most inspiring belly dance teacher I have studied with. Her fun personality and professionalism combine in a teaching style that brings out the best in each of her students. I love learning her choreographies!”
“Elena's classes are the perfect blend of spiritual and physical. She taught me that beauty is not a question of size or shape, but of mastery of the body. After working with Elena, I gained grace, confidence and poise both in and out of class. She brings to every class a deep knowledge of the music, both rhythmic and cultural.”
–Tina Sarno Cole
During the 5 years I took private belly dance lessons with Elena, my technique and musicality greatly improved. I really love her teaching style: she is organized and very knowledgeable about the Middle Eastern music, dance, and culture. She is meticulous and pays attention to detail, especially when it comes to reflecting the music through movements. I would highly encourage any dancer to study with Elena!
Classes are pay by the month or by the session (e.g. summer, fall, etc.).
PAY BY THE MONTH:
One Four-Week Class: $60 ($15 per one-hour class); three-week classes are $45.
Two Four-Week Classes (i.e. Level 1 & 2): $96 ($12 per class); two three-week classes are $72.
Classes are not prorated.
PAY BY THE SESSION:
Class sessions are usually 8–10 weeks:
One 8-Week Session, one level: $96 ($12 per one-hour class)
Two 8–Week Sessions, two levels simultaneously (i.e. Level 1 & 2): $176 (only $11 per class!)
Classes are not prorated.
Refine and re-energize your dancing with careful one-on-one attention and focused feedback. Semi-privates welcome!
* The studio fee does not apply if you schedule a private lesson with me in my home studio.